Saturday 19 June 2010

Torta Inglese........

Seeing as I had loads of chocolate cream left over from making dad's cake I have decided to make a "torta Inglese" also known as a "torta Galletta". This is an old recipe my mum and her siblings used to make when they were younger. (I have included it in my first book "Grazie Mammà", based on Neapolitan recipes, family recipes and our traditions. I'm trying to get it published....)

My cousin Carmela also makes this and calls it "torta galletta", because of the type of biscuit she uses. The best ones to use are long rich tea finger biscuits, as they make it easier to construct the cake, but morning coffee biscuits or something similar will work just as well.


The cake is made from soaking the biscuits in espresso coffee then layering them with pastry cream. You can use just plain pastry cream or a mixture of plain and chocolate flavoured ones or whatever takes your fancy. The trick is not too soak the biscuits for too long as they need to keep their shape.


This is one I made with plain pastry cream.



The chocolate one will follow tonight. ( I am out of biscuits !!) .........................

..................Here it is

No comments:

Post a Comment