Tuesday 22 June 2010

Crap day at work, but....

I finally have my business cards. I hope to be giving them out in the coming days and maybe, just maybe my dream will start to come true. After another stressful day at work I am beginning to think about handing my notice in, sooner rather than later. The electricity tripped at least 10 times today. The electrician said that's because you shouldn't have everything on at the same time. What a prat, he obviously hasn't worked in a professional kitchen and he obviously can't be bothered coming back in to fix his mistake, which it is. I'm sick of telling the people in charge about equipment I need and it going in one ear and out the other. It was sweltering in the kitchen and luckily I went in early and managed to get some bits out of the way before everybody else got in the way. Anyway I could go on all night but I'm not going to because Im, a: tired and b: sure there is no one reading this and giving a damn anyway. I feel really bad about taking it out on my mum when I got in, even if she did give my phone number out to some MFC of a woman from some shitty call centre who wont stop ringing. Breathe and relax... So what wonderful recipe can I tell you about today. Well seeing as it's hot here and I spoke about ice cream yesterday this is a kind of hybrid ice cream and cake rolled in to one. It's a walnut and toffee, ice cream cake. This cake combines a multitude of delicious ingredients and is easy to make. There is no cooking involved and once you've made it I'm sure you 'll be back for more. You can make 1 individual cake or 8 small ones with the following quantities: 300g digestive biscuits crushed, 100g amaretti biscuits crushed, 100g butter melted, 1 litre vanilla ice cream, 150g walnut halves, 300g thick toffee sauce. Firstly you need to grease a loose based cake tin or tartlet cases with a little vegetable oil. Mix the crushed biscuits with the butter and smooth them out in the tin or tins, pressing down well. Pop the tin in the fridge for 20 minutes to harden up. After 20 minutes spread the ice cream on top of the biscuit base and freeze for 30 minutes. Take the cake out of the freezer and pour over the toffee sauce and then sprinkle over the walnuts. Freeze until hard. To serve leave the cake at room temperature for a few minutes then cut and enjoy.


Dulche de leche is great for the topping or even better make your own. It's really easy equal quantities of brown sugar, double cream and butter heated together and left to thicken.

1 comment: